White chicken chili is nutritious, flavorful, and easy to make! It will surely become one of your family’s favorite meals, as it has become mine!
Family and Food
I attribute my love of creating delicious and wholesome meals to my mother Elizabeth and Grandma Melva. A lot of my favorite recipes are ones that have been passed down through my ancestry. Some of my sweetest childhood memories were created in their kitchens as I was surrounded by loving family members making and eating homemade food. The importance of family meals is underestimated. Family ties are strengthened when we sit down and eat as a family. Now that I am a wife and mother, I love sitting down to eat with my handsome husband and two beautiful children. It’s a time when we can laugh, visit and talk about how our day is going while being nourished with wholesome food.
This white chicken chili recipe is from my mother. I make it at least once a month if not more! I love this recipe because it is easy to make, flavorful and serves a large number of people. When I make it for other people, they always ask me for the recipe! So here it is!
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- ½ tsp garlic minced (I use bottled minced garlic)
- (2 cups chicken broth) OR (2 cups water with 2 TBSP chicken bouillon OR 2 chicken bouillon cubes)
- 1 pinch cayenne red pepper
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp oregano
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 pinch of pepper
- 4 oz. can of diced green chilis
- 3 cans of great northern white beans
- 15 oz can of chicken OR rotisserie chicken OR freshly cooked chicken
- 8 oz of sour cream (I haven’t tried it yet, but a lot of people substitute plain greek yogurt for sour cream. I bet it would work well).
- Gather all ingredients. Chop the onion.
- In a large soup pot, saute the chopped onion and minced garlic in butter. Tip: While the onions are sauteing, I put all the spices together in a little bowl so I can put them into the pot all at once. Also, open up the cans so they are ready to pour into the pot.
- Once the onions are soft, add the broth from the can of chicken and the 2 cups of broth (or two cups of water).
- Add the spices to the pot (cayenne red pepper, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, and chicken bouillon – if you didn’t use broth). Add the can of chilis, great northern white beans, and chicken.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Before serving, add the sour cream.
- Serve with homemade bread or rolls. Pictured above is tasty sourdough bread. Recipe coming soon!